Saturday, June 13, 2009

Letters to a Zionist friend

We all know that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. wrote a Letter to an anti-Zionist friend in which he stated "When people criticize Zionism, they mean Jews." Well, actually he didn't. But he did, according to Arno Lustiger in The Jerusalem Post.

That a leading historian, born in 1924 and a survivor of Auschwitz and Buchenwald, should take this hoax seriously, and that a leading Israeli paper should publish the whole building of nonsensical reflections he erects on it, is indicative of the need Zionists have to believe in the crap they peddle; a need that has made them lose any critical faculty.

However, the fake piece of correspondence has given me an idea that might help me increase the rate of my blogging activity. The idea is to write letters to a Zionist friend, a device that will allow me to respond to Zionist claims even if I don't have examples of them being made at hand. The letters will mimick the style ascribed to King in the bogus missive, with lots of "my friend"'s scattered here and there. In some cases, I will respond to a real pundit, blogger or commenter, whose claims I'll quote. This will be particularly helpful in the case of people who don't have enough entity or are totally unknown: presenting them as friends of mine will formally give some logic to my quoting them. In other cases, however, my Zionist counterpart will be totally imaginary, although the reader will recognize the myths, tropes, memes and canards I will attribute to them. In either case, the whole exercise won't be based on any actual correspondence between me and a Zionist.

But, unlike in the King hoax, a key ingredient of the letters will be real: the author.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea -- looking forward to seeing you do it. Regards,

My Blog said...

However, the fake piece of correspondence has given me an idea
that might help me increase the rate of my blogging activity.