Monday, January 12, 2009

A question for my shrink

Dear Dr. Campodónico,

I have a query to make, and I can't wait till Thursday's session. No; it's not about a dream this time around (bad news in that area, by the way: the blonde with the three tits keeps popping up), but about an article I've read in the Jerusalem Post. These are the relevant paragraphs:

The Security Council resolution passed on Friday calling for an immediate cease-fire in Gaza was a source of embarrassment for US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who helped prepare it but ultimately was ordered to back down from voting for it and abstain, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said Monday.

Rice did not end up voting for Resolution 1860, thanks to a phone conversation he held with US President George Bush shortly before the vote, Olmert told a meeting of local authority heads in Ashkelon as part of a visit to the South.

Upon receiving word that the US was planning to vote in favor of the resolution - viewed by Israel as impractical and failing to address its security concerns - Olmert demanded to get Bush on the phone, and refused to back down after being told that the president was delivering a lecture in Philadelphia. Bush interrupted his lecture to answer Olmert's call, the premier said.

America could not vote in favor of such a resolution, Olmert told Bush. Soon afterwards, Rice abstained when votes were counted at the UN.

See, after reading this I was left with the impression that -- well -- I'm not sure I'll gather the courage to confess this -- although it's also true you're bound by doctor-patient privilege--

OK, let's say it once and for all: it looked to me, from the article, that the Prime Minister of Israel gave an order to the President of the United States, and as a result of that order the US Secretary of State had to change the vote she had already decided to cast at the UN Security Council to accomodate the Israelis' desires. And even though I rationally knew that it couldn't be true, that these kinds of things can only happen in conspiracy theories, in my innermost self I was convinced that my twisted reading of the events was accurate.

Dr. Campodónico -- am I an antisemite?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rule #1 of Special Relationship: Don't analyze Special Relationship.

Nice blog, compañero.

About Medicine Blog said...

Bush interrupted his lecture to answer Olmert's call, the premier said.